Onychoschizia, commonly known as nail splitting but also known as onychoschisis or lamellar dystrophy, is a condition that causes horizontal splits within the nail plate.
Brittle nails may occur due to medical problems, including gland (endocrine system) diseases, tuberculosis, Sjögren syndrome, and malnutrition.
How do you fix a split down the middle of your nail?
Part 2 Repairing Your Split Nail
- Apply a clear base coat. Paint a thin layer of a clear nail polish as a base coat.
- Place the teabag on your nail.
- Wait for the polish to dry.
- Apply another layer of clear nail polish.
- Remove the excess teabag.
- Apply another clear coat of polish.
- Paint your nails normally.
What does vertical splits in fingernails mean?
Trauma or injury may cause a split nail. There are many common causes of nail splitting, the medical term for which is onychoschizia. A split can occur across the nail, or it could split the nail vertically. Fingers and fingernails are easy to injure.
What causes split nails and ridges?
Many different health conditions can cause changes in the nails and nail bed, including shaping ridges in the nails. The fingernails are made of a protein called keratin, which is also found in the skin and hair. Aging is the most common cause of fingernail ridges.